Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 01:12:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Green Country Motorsports

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alignment Crew: DIY Toe Plates  (Read 17531 times)
ameenr

« on: April 09, 2008, 08:48:47 PM »

Since I'm always jacking around with my alignment now, I needed something quick and easy to measure toe without the help from another person.  Instead of coughing up 60 bucks for the Longacre plates, I decided to make my own for 10 bucks.  Please excuse my dump of a garage. 

Here I was showing about a 1/4" toe out with my camber plates slammed all the way inward.

grubby

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 02:22:59 PM »

Great idea Ryan. You might consider taking them to a sheet metal shop and having them put a 45° bend along the length at both top and bottom, 1" in from the edges to provide some rigidity. I made my own as well from 1/8" thick aluminum sheeting that came off a sign job I did a while back. I use them all the time and they provide remarkably accurate readings.

2006 Mitsubishi Evolution IX
1999 Mazda Miata Sport
1991 Honda Accord EX Coupe
1963 Porsche 356B Coupe
iZoom Graphics
ameenr

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 03:10:11 PM »

I was thinking about that after seeing how Longacre bends theirs.  On a side note I have some "ideas" in mind for getting my camber plates modded and wanted to know if theres anyone in town I can goto to have that done. 
ILoveOffRamps

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 04:32:13 PM »

The one I don't get, so hopefully someone can explain this to me. How can you be sure that the curvature of the wheel isn't affecting it. I know that the toe is the difference between the two, but it seems like the rim or tire could alter the results.

Todd
2004 Mazda MSM #40 - EM
grubby

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 08:48:58 PM »

The one I don't get, so hopefully someone can explain this to me. How can you be sure that the curvature of the wheel isn't affecting it. I know that the toe is the difference between the two, but it seems like the rim or tire could alter the results.
If your toe plates are in length, the same as your tire diameter, and your tires are inflated identically and you position the toe plates the same onto each wheel/tire, your measurements will be accurate. I've watched some alignment guys use the "chalk and string" method, some using a solid rod with adjustable scribes, and they just don't appear to me to be as accurate as the DIY toe plates. I have been using mine for about two years now and they are "spot on" consistent with an Allen Lemons alignment (which I get every year just to check everything out and make sure I'm not missing something). I used them extensively on Jeff's Subie last year and while the Subie's suspension had some settling issues, the toe plates always gave me a reliable reading. I swear by 'em and recommend them to anyone wanting to adjust toe settings at the event.

2006 Mitsubishi Evolution IX
1999 Mazda Miata Sport
1991 Honda Accord EX Coupe
1963 Porsche 356B Coupe
iZoom Graphics
ameenr

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 08:01:26 AM »

Grubb pretty much knocked it out of the park as far as an answer goes.  I actually went to Mr. Lemmons the week following our double header auto-x and had the alignment set to a good baseline.  As soon as I threw on the toe plates, his measurements (which are taken with a steel bar and a tire scribe at each end) matched up within a 1/16".  Good enough for me Cool
bengomez
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 02:53:32 AM »

How do you do with that toe aluminum plate? where is your job done?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: